Sunday, April 11, 2010

WOW!

I was outside this morning when something dropped from a tree onto my patio. I thought at first that it was a piece of paper but it kept moving. On closer inspection I found it it was a butterfly! I have never seen such a huge butterfly before! The wingspan is 5 inches! I ran inside and grabbed the camera to take this picture.


As you can see there is still a lot of oak pollen falling from the trees. I am so tired of sweeping it up! The pollen is really bad this year. I tried to find what kind of butterfly it is but had no luck so if you recognize it please let me know what kind of butterfly it is. I am really curious now!

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I don't know what kind it is--but it sure is pretty

John said...

It looks like a buckeye, probably the 'tropical buckeye' (Junonia genovera).

Wikipedia has an article about these butterflies, and when you search on Google for its Latin name you'll find more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye_%28butterfly%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junonia_genoveva